Friday 20 July 2012

I am... learning all the time

In May I decided to start a blog to put photos of my creative endeavours, usually things I had made for my kids. I had started to sew when I found out I was pregnant with my eldest son (now 2 - nearly 3). I think it was my way of having the 'nesting instinct' you hear of. I'm not really into keeping a house super tidy. I don't have a problem with people who do, but for me when I come to the end of my life I would rather reflect on the things I enjoyed doing in my house, not the time I spent cleaning it, so apart from what needs to be done for hygiene its not high on my list of to do.

While I was doing that I came across a photo on Pinterest showing a May Photo Challenge that had a prompt a day for a photo. At that time I thought it might be an interesting challenge to see what I could come up with to photograph.

What I didn't expect was that during that month I would occasionally take a photo that I thought was pretty good. I started to want to take photos like that without it being an accident. So I started to think more about composition. I had taken Art in high school and I was reasonably good at it. How did composition translate to photography?

So I have been taking photos when I get the chance. Usually I have 2 seconds to snap something while my kids tug on my leg or yell at me to do something so I don't have much time to ponder before I take a shot. I use my iPhone because I don't have a camera so I am limited to what I can take without it being blurry. That is quite a challenge when your main subjects won't hold still while you take a photo. And recently E, my 2yr old, has taken to quite enjoying holding a pose until the last minute and then turning away. He thinks it is HILARIOUS! Cheeky.

I am about a month away from being able to afford a camera (I have been saving!), but I think that using something basic has been good for thinking about composition. I have no choice. Making it harder is a good place to start in my opinion.

Anyway, I am... learning and enjoying the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment